Pictured: Assembling care kits of useful supplies for our unhoused neighbors.
Serving Our Neighbors, 2019 – 2020
St. Bede’s offers many opportunities for hands-on service beyond what individual parishioners do for worthy organizations on their own initiative. Outreach to the greater community has always been a priority for parishioners at St. Bede’s. Over the years we’ve provided support to a wide range of organizations, both local and around the world. In 2019, we decided to streamline our efforts into three broad areas: housing & homelessness, education, and local organizations that support those in need.
All are welcome to join in service and outreach projects: individuals, families, friends, and members of the larger community.
- LifeMoves: Cook, deliver, and serve meals at LifeMoves family shelters
- Ecumenical Hunger Program: Collect and deliver gifts for teens as part of Ecumenical Hunger Program’s holiday Family Sharing program
- San Mateo County Jail: Participate in Christmas caroling at the San Mateo County Jail on Christmas morning
- Los Ayudantes: Serve as a Los Ayudantes tutor to support middle-school students in the Redwood City School District
- Home & Hope: Host the Home & Hope on-site family shelter for a week during the summer; this year we will collaborate with Trinity Church to support their on-site sheltering effort
- Care Kits: Prepare and deliver care kits of useful supplies for our unhoused neighbors
- Episcopal Impact Fund: Provide financial support to the Episcopal Impact Fund during major emergencies, most recently the COVID-19 pandemic
- Seccombe Outreach Fund: Organize our parish gala event to raise funds for St. Bede’s Seccombe Outreach Fund, named after two beloved parishioners, Jean and Roger Seccombe, who were exemplary models of serving those in need. Each year, funds are donated to local service organizations. In lieu of our usual gala, this year’s Disco Bingo Extravaganza was held online while we were sheltering in place.
Serving Our Parish
- Altar Guild: Serving on altar guild is a ministry. Its members care for the altar, vestments, vessels, and altar linens of the parish. Altar Guild members prepare the sanctuary for services and clean up afterwards.
- Flower Team: The flower team encompasses scheduled volunteers who purchase and arrange flowers for the altar as well as ad hoc volunteers who decorate for church holidays.
- Coffee Hour: There are two coffee hours following each Sunday service. We catch up, discuss parish life, and enjoy seeing old friends and welcoming newcomers. Light refreshments are prepared and served by volunteer hosts.